Subscribe for access:
ON-DEMAND VIDEO RECORDINGS FROM THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE ARE AVAILABLE BELOW
700+ Attendees | 80+ Expert Speakers | 350+ Sovereign, Corporate & FI Borrowers | 100+ Investors | 40+ Countries
As the continent adjusts to the new normal, this event will bring together over 700 key players in Africa’s capital markets community and feature 80+ expert speakers. This is your best opportunity to initiate an unlimited number of new business connections via our networking directory; hear first-hand how the rest of the market are navigating current challenges and opportunities; and check-in with your industry’s leaders.
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 6:55am (Europe/London)
Keynote address: The role of the National Treasury in moving the South African economy forward post COVID-19 (presentation)
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 7:00am (Europe/London)
- What measures have been put in place by the government to boost the South African economy in 2020-2021?
- Effective sovereign debt and liquidity management: How much funding does the government need to support its economic recovery plan?
Assessing sovereign debt outlook for 2021: Where are sovereigns looking for funding?
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 7:30am (Europe/London)
- How have rating downgrades affected sovereigns’ ability to source funding? What options are now on the table?
- Hard vs. local currency: How has reliance and availability of USD for sovereigns changed due to COVID-19?
- Re-engaging the institutional investor appetite into Africa: What do investors need to see from sovereigns to improve their debt sustainability?
General Manager, Debt Management Agency
Ministry of Economy and Finance, Republic of Benin
Director of Debt Management
Ministry of Finance & Economic Development, Republic of Sierra Leone
Africa’s economic outlook for 2021 and beyond: A regional run-down of post-COVID-19 growth across the continent
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 8:15am (Europe/London)
- How are rating downgrades affecting South Africa’s ability to structure reform?
- Political transitions, economic recovery and commodity prices in East Africa: Which sectors are proving resilient post pandemic, and where is there a rocky road ahead?
- What impact will the restructuring of oil & gas exposed loans have on Nigeria’s debt profile? What measures are the Central Bank implementing to support this?
- How has being pegged to the French Treasury aided Francophone economies to withstand volatility during the pandemic? How might this change with the newly introduced Eco currency?
How have banks’ approach to lending in the syndicated market changed in the COVID era?
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 9:00am (Europe/London)
- Assessing local market liquidity: How do regional banks’ offering of favourable pricing and tenor vary across the region?
- To what extent can local markets withstand ongoing volatility?
- Longer tenors vs. liquidity flow vs. need to diversify lending base: What challenges are syndication teams facing with regards to size, pricing and structure of deals?
- How can banks weather the slowdown in syndicated loan activity across the continent?
- How are volatile liquidity levels impacting lenders’ approach to offering new structures to new borrowers?
- Preparing for a transition away from LIBOR: What should bankers look out for in the fallback language of legal agreements? How does this affect loan structure going forward?
Capital markets strategies in the new normal: Managing FX volatility, rating downgrades, and access to markets
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 9:45am (Europe/London)
- How do African treasury and funding teams interpret ongoing FX volatility? How will this impact their access to the bonds and loans markets into 2021?
- Assessing corporate funding methods pre and post pandemic: How do treasurers now view capital structures?
- How can borrowers optimise balance sheets whilst maintaining a stable liquidity position?
- Eurobonds, private placements: Understanding the diversified funding options available to African borrowers
Elections, trade, and post-COVID recovery: How are investors pricing African credit in the current climate?
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 10:30am (Europe/London)
- Market volatility and credit ratings: How is uncertainty being priced into African bonds?
- How are investors hedging their exposure to downgrades across the continent?
- How has the US presidential campaign and upcoming election impacted the way investors view Africa credit?
- AfCFTA: How do investors view the Africa Free Trade Agreement as a vehicle to stimulate post-COVID growth between economies? Does it affect how they price differently across the continent?
- Where do investors see opportunities for African credit as we head into 2021?
How has de-dollarisation, currency depreciation, and increased reliance on the Naira impacted Nigeria’s long-term debt outlook?
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 11:30am (Europe/London)
- With a shortage of USD funding, can the naira market be “overtapped”? Is it sustainable to rely long-term on the naira?
- What measures do the government have in place if it depreciates further?
- How can the government balance the funding of much-needed infrastructure with helping borrowers get back on their feet? Where does the priority lie?
Chief Executive Officer
Pension Funds Operators Association of Nigeria (PenOp)
Transition finance as a gateway to green: How can fossil fuel dependent economies start thinking about ESG? What are the first-steps?
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 12:30pm (Europe/London)
- What do banks and investors expect from commodity-driven companies in relation to their approach to ESG?
- For an oil, gas or mining company thinking about becoming more sustainably focused, what are the first steps in the transition process?
- How can oil & gas and mining companies start to become more conscious about greener reporting?
Debt restructuring and debt forbearance: What lessons can be taken from successful transactions in South Africa across the rest of the continent?
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 13:15pm (Europe/London)
- Navigating the legal and regulatory frameworks: What should you be aware of before entering a restructuring?
- Understanding how to factor payment and covenant deferrals into your wider financing structure
- Importance of mitigating against potential liquidity issues, and lack of protection on Stock Exchange listings
- What role is the DSSI looking to play in kickstarting the most fragile sectors (e.g. retail, aviation, transport)? How will African economies support themselves post DSSI?
- How does DSSI and debt restructuring fit together? Is a restructuring inevitable following any DSSI agreements?
Supporting pre-COVID activity and easing the downturn: How are DFIs, ECAs and commercial banks working alongside each other to ease the financial impact of the pandemic on the continent?
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 14:00pm (Europe/London)
- With IMF and World Bank support on the table, are DFIs seeing a slow-down in appetite for syndications from some clients? How are they adjusting to this?
- How is the relationship between DFIs and commercial banks changing with DFIs taking on an increased role in club deals?
- Where do commercial banks see opportunities post-pandemic?
Economic aftershocks of the election: How the volatile U.S. election as well as spending, tax, and trade policies will impact global markets in 2021 and beyond
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 14:45pm (Europe/London)
- What are the policies being talked about for 2021 and how will they impact markets?
- US economic trajectory: What does this mean for the global economic trajectory?
- What is the outlook for emerging market economies and financial markets?
Keynote address: Supporting the region for a return to economic growth
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 15:15pm (Europe/London)
Close of conference day one
Tue 24th Nov 2020, 15:45pm (Europe/London)
Wed 25th Nov 2020, 7:45am (Europe/London)
Africa’s energy and social development infrastructure (Healthcare, Education, Housing): Who is investing and what role are financiers & infrastructure companies playing to kick-start these projects?
Wed 25th Nov 2020, 8:00am (Europe/London)
- How do pipelines compare pre and post pandemic?
- Which sectors are piquing investor interest? Are governance structures robust enough for investors to want to invest in energy and transport projects?
- Greenfield vs. brownfield vs. health and educational infrastructure: Which types of projects and which sectors are seeing a renewed appetite for investment?
- What criteria do DFIs and ECAs focus on when selecting a project for funding? To what extent will they fill the funding and tenor gaps?
- Multilateral vs. bank funding: How do the funding options for borrowers compare?
Assessing private credit as a vehicle to bridge the gap between the debt and equity markets
Wed 25th Nov 2020, 9:00am (Europe/London)
- What products are banks and private equity houses offering if borrowers choose to access alternative funding?
- Why it is important to have alternatives to debt and more malleable capital on the table in the current climate?
- What methods can be used to turn debt into equity (if necessary), and how can alternative credit firms support this?
Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer
African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA)
Keynote address: Mobilising African infrastructure investment for 2021 and beyond
Wed 25th Nov 2020, 9:45am (Europe/London)
Securitisation as a risk management asset class in the South African market: a useful case study for newer markets?
Wed 25th Nov 2020, 10:15am (Europe/London)
- Securitisation as a safe haven for investment: Why is this vehicle becoming more attractive to investors?
- Overcoming compliance burden and regulatory costs: What methods worked well in South Africa?
- Does one size fit all? Can legal and regulatory nuances be translated to different African economies?
Hedging against FX volatility: What instruments are available to African corporates, and how can they be implemented?
Wed 25th Nov 2020, 11:15am (Europe/London)
- What instruments are available (natural or constructed) to hedge against currency depreciation? How accessible are they?
- How can corporates optimise balance sheet management and improve ALM to include hedging instruments?
- USD vs. local currency: Is USD the best currency for hedging when it will be linked to LIBOR? How to assess local currency hedging performance with the transition to the new benchmark rate
Close of conference
Wed 25th Nov 2020, 12:00pm (Europe/London)